Benefits of Hot Mineral Water Springs
One of our recent guests at the Lido Palms Resort and Spa kindly provided us with the following article regarding the benefits of hot mineral water:
For thousands of years hundreds of millions have benefited from mineral water baths. Mineral springs are natural pools of water filled with significant quantities of minerals. Scientists do not know the exact reason these mineral pockets formed, or why the temperature of mineral pools is usually higher than normal, when compared to normal water sources. Mineral baths have been used for centuries to relieve health problems and for general relaxation. Soaking in a mineral bath has several benefits, which we will discuss in this article. Doctor Andrew Weil discusses these benefits in the following paragraphs.
1. relief from Musculoskeletal problems. Dr. Weil has found soaking in warm mineral water provides relief from joint pain, muscle fatigue, arthritis, and ligament damage.
The Japanese and Chinese have used hot springs to deal with these issues for at least 2,000 years. The key benefit of mineral bathing for Musculoskeletal problems comes from the warm temperature of the water, which soothes aching muscles, and from the minerals in the water, which soak into the skin. The minerals act as a stimulant for your natural body processes.
2. Dr. Weil states mineral water baths will lower high blood pressure. Some of this benefit is caused by the enhanced circulation provided to you by the mineral springs. Increased blood flow comes from the temperature of the natural mineral springs plus the agitation of the water that is often present in mineral baths.
3. Patients have reported to Dr. Weil they found relief from Eczema, which is a common skin condition that is identified by chronically dry and flaky skin. Eczema sufferers have reported that mineral baths in mineral springs have reduced their suffering.
Other types of conditions have been helped by mineral spring water baths.
4. Nasal Congestion is another ailment, which has been reduced by mineral hot spring bathing. Mineral baths and hot springs normally have a high sulfur content. Sulfur can help individuals with nasal congestion. Dr. Weil believes that soaking in mineral baths may relieve many nasal congestion symptoms such as those appearing in allergy suffers or anyone with chronic chest congestion. (NOTE: The hot mineral water in Desert Hot Springs has a very low sulfur content so the foregoing comment is not applicable in the case of ore resort and spa. On the other hand, our waters are free from the sulfurous odor that often accompanies hot mineral water).
5. Bathing in a hot mineral spring will improve your circulation. Mineral baths typically have a high sodium bicarbonate and calcium percentage in the water. The presence of these minerals in the water is reported to have a positive effect on the circulation in your body. The temperature of the water influences the flow of blood in your system. Reduced gravity in the water helps encourage blood flow Dr. Weil believes.
6. Soaking in saltwater is known to have an influential effect on the digestion of food. The salt content in the water encourages the natural digestive function to process food. It is unknown why this process occurs, but several sources, such as Mineral Essential Skin Care, identify the digestion-boosting properties of mineral baths.
7. Regular soaks in hot springs reduces fibromyalgia symptoms. A study reported in Rheumatology International in July 2007 (“Cost-Effectiveness of Spa Treatment for Fibromyalgia, entitled general health improvement is Not for Free”, by T. R. Zijlstra et al) outlined the increased comfort of fibromyalgia patients who took regular soaks in hot mineral baths.
The hot mineral water for our three pools comes from our spring at approximately 129 degrees. Our pool temperatures are regulated between 92-104 degrees. We invite you to contact Lido Palms Resort and Spa if you have questions about our hot mineral water pools.
|Back to Top of Page|
|Back to Previous Page|